Make Treatibles Part of Your Pet's Disaster PlanNo matter where you live in the United States, there is always the chance of a natural or man-made disaster. From floods, earthquakes and tornadoes to blizzards, hurricanes, fires and more, every region of the country is vulnerable to a catastrophic event.
Across the country, officials are relentless in driving home the importance of having a plan in place. They stress how much easier it is to do this before there is an actual disaster in sight.
This is also true for pets. Imagine how much easier it will be to simply grab a ready-to-go bag with all of the supplies your pet will need should you need to evacuate or become stranded for days.
PLANNING FOR AN EVACUATION
Determine appropriate locations to evacuate to:
Friend or Family Member's House
- Make sure your friend or family member understands your pet(s) will be with you.
- Research their pet policy NOW. Many accept pets, however, they are housed in a different area than their humans. Most shelters require proof of vaccines.
- Know which chains welcome pets, which pets they allow and if there are any restrictions.
- There are some excellent online guides like this one from Hotel Guides.
HAVE BASIC PET SUPPLIES READY TO GO
- Enough food and water for each pet for at least a week
- Freeze-dried foods are great for this – lightweight and easy to prepare (just add water). I recommend incorporating freeze-dried foods as part of your pet’s regular diet.
- Disposable food and water bowls/dishes
- First aid salves/ointments
- Wound Care and Dr. Harvey’s Healing Cream are excellent choices as they are great for dogs, cats and humans, too.
- Puppy Training pads
- For lining carriers, using in hotel rooms, protecting seats and floors in the car, etc.
- Disposable litter box and litter
- Pet Wipes
- Gentle, fragrance-free grooming wipes are fabulous for cleaning paws, mouths, fur, etc.
- Styptic powder to stop bleeding from nicks and cuts
- Any prescriptions/supplements your pet needs
- Phytocannabinoid Products to Address Anxiety and Promote Calm and Balance
- Treatibles hard chews, dropper oils and gel caps all contain phytocannabinoid rich oil extracted from whole plant medicinal grade hemp grown in the USA. In addition to therapeutic phytocannabinoids,terpenes are included creating what is known as the entourage effect, providing a full spectrum of benefits for pets.
Keep in mind that evacuation is not always an option. Many disasters cannot be predicted. It is still important to have plans and protocols in place. After a major event, it is common to be stranded or without basic services for days or weeks at a time. Having the proper supplies on hand (for your pets and you) will ease some of the stress.
- Know where in your house everyone including your pets will be safest during the event
- Familiarize yourself with basic procedures for pet first aid
- The AVMA offers an excellent guide.
- Items to help keep you and your pets as comfortable as possible
- Battery operated fan
- Sterno kit
While we cannot plan for every scenario, we can do our best to ensure our pets are fed, hydrated, safe, calm, and comfortable.